Old Man Winter is already making his presence known across the Country and Canada. Some full-time RV owners haven’t or won’t be able to escape the plunging temperatures and piling snow because of their jobs or other commitments. Depending on what kind of RV you own, you may need to supplement your motorhome or towable heating system with a portable heater.
First, let’s talk about HEAT & FIRE SAFETY!
PORTABLE HEATER AND FIRE SAFETY GUIDELINES:
- Never turn your stove or oven on to heat the inside of your RV or camper. That’s a disaster waiting to happen.
- If using propane space heaters, make certain to open a window slightly for ventilation.
- Test your Carbon Monoxide Monitor make certain it’s working properly.
- Make certain that you have ample number of fire extinguishers and that they have not expired.
- Never leave space heaters unattended; this means sleeping or just stepping out for a moment.
- Keep children and pets away from space heaters, heat sources and controls at all times.
- Keep it at least 3 feet from flammables, such as curtains, clothing, furniture or bedspreads.
- Select a model with an automatic shut-off, in case it tips.
- Buy one that is certified by an independent testing lab, such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL).
- Buy the right size to handle the area to be heated.
- NEVER use any type of kerosene heater in your camper or RV.
- Do not overload the electrical outlets
- Know what your electrical system in your RV will handle for wattage and draw.
- Do not use space heaters in bathrooms or areas of moisture or water as it could result in electrocution.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Unplug heaters when not in use.
- Never use or store flammable liquids near any heater or heat source.
- Do not try to repair a broken heater yourself—go to a qualified appliance service center.
- Do not use if the electrical cord is frayed or cracked.
- Be sure the plug fits snugly in the outlet. (The cord and plug may feel warm when operating, but it shouldn’t feel hot. If it does, unplug it and have a repair person check for problems.)
- Encourage family fire prevention discussions.
- Know what to do in case of fire.
- Practice fire drills, exits and meeting locations.
CHECK OUT OUR 5 BEST PORTABLE HEATERS:
This 2-speed electric portable fan heater is a little over two pounds, it measures 9.2 x 10.5 x 5.5 inches. This little Optimus Prime (what we call it) packs its punch for less than $25. This is perfect for small spaces. It can be set on the floor or on a stable surface.
- 2 Heat Settings (750 and 1500 watts)
- Automatic Thermostat Control
- 4 Position Function Switch (Off, Fan, Lo, Hi)
- Fan Only Setting
- Internal Heat Limiting Thermostat
- Thermal Cut-off Safety Device
- Tip-Over Safety Switch
- Power Indicator Light.
For less than $50, the Benuo electric heater provides…
- 2 HEATING MODES & FAN-ONLY MODE: Designed with 950W high heat mode, 700W low heat mode and 5W fan-only mode, bringing you proper warmth and the desired cool as you need.
- 90 DEGREE OSCILLATION HEATING: Tap the Swing Button on the top panel, the heater will oscillate at 45-degree right and left to offer warm air or cool breeze widely and evenly.
- MULTIPLE SAFETY PROTECTION: the overheat and thermal fuse double protection will cut off the power when the heater is overheated. Tip-over auto shut-off feature with flame-resistant material ensures safety use.
- PTC CERAMIC & QUICK HEATING: Adopts the PTC ceramic heating element, the heater heats up rapidly in 2 seconds, more efficient and longer service life. Ideal for your home, office and other personal spaces.
- QUIET OPERATION: The heater will produce maximum noise at only 58dB, which will not interfere with your sleeping and working, offering you a quiet space with extra comfort.
For about $50, this four and a half pound ceramic space heater measures 7.1 x 5.9 x 11.1 inches
- QUICK HEATING FOR INSTANT WARMTH – Ceramic space heaters are fast to heat, produce abundant heat without open coils, and are long lasting
- THREE MODES HEATER WITH FAN – 1. High Heat (1500-watt), 2. Low Heat (1000-watt ), 3. Fan Only.
- ADJUSTABLE THERMOSTAT -The heater will kick on and maintain consistent heat according to it’s thermostat setting and the room’s ambient temperature. Select your heating preference and you’ll stay warm and toasty throughout the day and/or night.
- QUIETNESS AND EASY TO USE – With the low noise about 30db when it is working, it will not disturb your sleeping, resting, reading, working. Simply turn the dial to high or low heat, or fan only, and then, using the other dial, adjust the intensity to your comfort. A red power indicator light shows when the device is on.
- TIP-OVER & OVER-HEATING PROTECTION AND ONE YEAR WARRANTY – Automatic overheat system will shuts the unit off when the parts of the heater overheat. TIP-OVER SWITCH will shut off unite when tipped forward or backward. ONE-YEAR WARRANTY is against defects.
With 1500W of heating power, you’ll enjoy solid streams of warmth allowing you to get nice and warm even faster. Plus with three power settings, low, medium and high, you can find your preference temperature with total ease. This electric oil-filled radiator heater is a little heavier at about 20 pounds and sells for less than $100.
- MULTILPE HEATING OPTIONS & EASY OPERATION – Three heat settings ( 600w/900w/1500w ) and ECO mode,Best for medium to large rooms which need constant heat in the chilly season . With Remote Control ,Adjustable thermostat, 24-hour timer, Making you operate easily.
- SILENTLY WARM THE ENTIRE ROOM – Pelonis’s unique design maximize heat flow into the room without fan noise and other annoying sound . You can enjoy a peaceful and warm environment with this oil-filled heater.
- SAFETY TECHNOLOGY – patented technology of tail fin separation for overheat protection. Far above the international safety standards. Auto-shut-off safety includes tip-over protection. Anti-freeze setting to help prevent freezing pipes . Pelonis’s oil filled radiant heater is safe and best for you and your family.
- LOWER YOUR ENERGY BILLS – ECO setting can adjust the digital thermostat and heat settings automatically to optimize energy consumption. Radiant space heater is ideal for full room such as living room, offices, bedrooms and garage.
- 3 Heating Settings(600 / 900 / 1500W)
- Energy Saving Setting(ECO Mode)
- Overheat & Tip-over Safety Function
- 24 hours Programmable Timer
- Temperature Setting: 40-95℉
- Convenient Remote Control
If you’re a boondocker or have a limited electric power source, this Mr. Heater Buddy might interest you. This is a portable propane heating option for indoors. This little gem packs in right under 10 pounds measuring 7.7 x 13.4 x 15 inches. Heats up to 250 square feet. This one costs around $75.
With a larger heating surface, fold-down handle, swivel-out fuel connection, and an easy-start four-position control, Mr. Heater sets the new standard for portable radiant heating comfort. With its low-oxygen shut-off and tip-over safety shut-off systems, this heater provides safe, reliable heat anytime, anywhere.
- 4,000- to 9,000-BTU radiant heater for spaces up to 225 square feet. Approved for indoor/outdoor use; clean-burning; nearly 100-percent efficient
- Fold-down handle reduces storage space
- Four position control with built-in Piezo igniter off and lo/hi heat settings
- High temperature wire guard
- Swivel regulator for easy LP cylinder and hose installation
- Large durable porcelain coated heating surface directs radiant heat over wider area
- Low-oxygen safety shut-off (ODS) and tip-over safety shut-off
- Ceramic burner tile mounted with shock absorbing insulation for durability and easy replacement
- When operating the heater at altitudes over 7,000 FT above sea level the heater may shut off.
- Auto shut-off if tipped over, if pilot light goes out, or if detects low oxygen levels
- Fold-down handle; swivel-out regulator; connects to propane tank (not included)
We hope this list helped. Whichever you choose, please be sensible about any heater operation and practice good fire and heater safety.
For Summer cooling tips…
DISCLOSURE & DISCLAIMER: Our Product Suggestion and Product Review Disclaimer: We will not be held liable for any misuse, injury, loss of life, damage or loss of any property from the use of any products listed in this blog. It is the responsibility of the consumer/user to read and understand the manufacturers instructions before operating.
The use of unauthorized accessories/attachments with any of these heaters are expressly prohibited, may cause serious injury and will void warranties. Keep children and pets away from all portable heaters and/or heat sources. Never leave heater(s) unattended. Unplug any heater when not in use. Do not operate while sleeping or near water sources. We do not recommend plugging space heaters into extension cords or ‘power bricks’ unless clearly stated in the manufacturer’s owners manual. You must adhere to applicable state codes. Be sure you purchase the correct one in accordance to your state’s requirements.
AMAZON DISCLOSURE: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. No extra fees or charges to the consumer or buyer are incurred.