For RV owners, trip planning is more than just plotting our course on a road map. Especially as big rig RV owners, we appreciate the importance of having the best electronic gear to help us navigate our Nation’s roadways safely. This is precisely why we use the Rand McNally OverDryve 7 RV GPS.
Those RVers who pull large fifth wheels or drive high-profile motorhomes need to be aware of low clearances, narrow and windy roads, and road obstacles. Any one of those or combination of could spell disaster if we’re not prepared for them.
This article contains affiliate links. By clicking on them, it doesn’t cost you anything extra. Full disclosure here.
Rand McNally OverDryve 7 RV GPS – Product Review
Disclosure: We were compensated with product to review this product. However, this compensation in no way reflects our honest review.
Our big fat Rookie mistake!
When we bought our first RV, a 44′ fifth wheel toy hauler in 2014, we ignored some very important advice seasoned RVers advised us of. We didn’t buy an RV GPS (Global Positioning System). We assumed Google Maps could take us anywhere we wanted to go. Well, you know where I’m going with this.
If you’re a big rig RV owner and operator, you’d know what huge mistake that turned out to be. It only took us two times to learn never do that again. Luckily, we all escaped disaster. Yes, we admit that even we can be dumbasses sometimes. And, we are grateful that we didn’t land ourselves on the cover of some social media page!
So, off to that big camping store we went! There were a few different models on display. After reading the differences in features, we settled on the much simpler previous model Rand McNally RV GPS.
Let’s just say that it was an ‘okay’ GPS with the basic functions. We wanted something simple and easy to use.
Time to upgrade our RV GPS
And, let me tell you, those sources were right! It’s a huge improvement compared to our lesser model GPS. The Rand McNally OverDryve GPS is loaded with extensive useful features.
After testing it for approximately two months and 2000 miles, we’ve put together enough data to give our product assessment.
But first though, let’s look at the cool stuff packed into this awesome GPS.
Rand McNally OverDryve 7 RV Features:
- On-board, Award Winning Navigation
- Free Lifetime Maps
- Advanced Lane Guidance and Junction Views
- Exit Ahead Search
- Trip Views
- Curated Rand McNally Trips
- Aux Audio Output
- Live Traffic, Fuel Prices and Weather Overlay
- Trip Maker
- Digital Road Atlas
- WiFi Updates
- Download Apps (Amazon/APK Pure App Store)
- Built-In Dash Cam
- Stream Music and Content Via WiFi or Bluetooth
- Smart Magnetic Mount with GPS Boost
- Mount Includes Extended 3-Watt Speaker
- Mount Includes FM Transmitter
- Bluetooth Hands Free Call and Text
- Voice Assistant with Siri and Google Now
- HDMI Output
Built-In Dash Cam Function:
- Records in continuous loop mode
- Background recording continues while using other apps
- Records up to approximately 6 hours on internal storage (photo gallery), or up to available space on external storage (SD card or micro USB drive)
- Segment option allows recording of any length from 1 to 150 minutes
Our Product Review:
What we love about it…
1) It is lightning fast to lock onto a satellite when powered on.
2) The Rand McNally OverDryve 7 RV GPS has an amazing rich color display.
3) There is a super powerful suction cup that mounts to the windshield and then the GPS head mounts magnetically to the suction cup for quick dismounting and remounting.
4) It can be bluetoothed to your smartphone allowing you to check traffic and weather conditions on your route. You can also use it to find fuel stations and area restaurants as well.
5) You can play music through it as well as connect with a handy internet search function just like a smartphone or tablet. You do have to use blue tooth to do this.
6) It has a built in dash camera thus eliminating the need for an external dash cam.
7) It has a built in compass and altimeter. Both very handy and accurate.
8) It can be programmed for the specifications based on your RV.
9) You can track and log the route of your RV as well as determine fuel costs and consumption.
10) You can track RV maintenance through it.
11) You can set favorite types of routes and points of interest on your route.
There are more than several other features that give this RV GPS a big thumbs up.
What we think needs improvement…
There are a few features we aren’t totally crazy about.
1) The unit did not come with a written operators manual. There is a basic setup card that is lacking in explaining in detail all the functions of the unit. We had to do some internet research to learn about the GPS to help us get comfortable with it.
2) The small print size of details for the summary of turns on the route makes it difficult to read.
3) The unit is sometimes challenging to program your desired destination into. You need the specific street name. We find inputting the latitude and longitude coordinates is the easiest way to load our boondocking destinations.
To summarize, we love the much-improved Rand McNally OverDryve 7 RV GPS. We are happy to be given the opportunity to test it out and give our unvarnished truth. The more we use it the more we love it. Oh, and you can also buy a specific Rand McNally protective case made for it for less than thirty bucks.
We are confident in the Rand McNally Overdryve’s ability to safely navigate us on our desired route. As good RV travelers, we still choose to follow up use of the Rand McNally OverDryve 7 RV GPS with verifying our routes in our trucker atlas. We never know when we will lose a signal and redundancy could be the key to arriving safely at our destination.
We were compensated to review this product. However, our transparent and honest opinion and review in no way reflects that compensation.
This website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.