Let’s just admit, camping in the dirt, sand and mud sucks if you’re the one who’s constantly sweeping and cleaning the inside of your RV. But, you can mitigate that chore simply by installing RV step covers on your motorhome or camper entry steps. They help to minimize dirt and debris from being tracked in. But did you know there are other important reasons why you need step rugs?
Trying to figure out which RV entry step covers you need on your motorhome, fifth wheel or travel trailer can leave you scratching your head. But, we’ve done a bit of research to give you our recommendations which RV step rugs will work best. But first, let’s talk about the benefits of having your steps covered.
This article contains affiliate links. Full disclosure here.
Reasons why you should have RV step covers
Minimizes dirt tracking
Helps keep from tracking in dirt, sand and small gravel. Just like a welcome mat, you can wipe your shoes or boots off before entering your motorhome or trailer.
Provides safe footing
RV steps can become slippery from ice, snow, rain, mud and even sand and grit. By installing entry step covers foot slippage will be minimal if at all. Plus, the underside of step rug covers are rubberized giving extra grip to stay on your motorhome, fifth wheel or camper steps.
No more burned feet
Because RV steps are metal, they can get super hot in the sun. And, if they’re painted or powder coated black, they will absorb the sun and get even hotter. Should you step on them in your bare feet, OUCH! But RV step rug covers will help keep from burning your bare feet or your pet’s paws.
Covering your RV steps with step rugs will help your dogs and cats enter and exit your RV much easier. Your pups and kitties will get a better grip and not get their claws caught in the small drainage holes or grooves on your RV steps. Therefore, having less anxiety climbing up into your RV for rest and bounding out for their next adventure.
Gives your RV an updated look
Since your motorhome’s or camper’s steps come in different colors and surfaces, you can give your RV a new look by updating with a new set of step rugs.
Now that you know the benefits and reasons for getting RV step covers, there are just a few considerations to note before buying.
Important information before buying RV step covers
First, you’ll need to consider the following before buying step rugs for your RV:
- Whether your RV has manual steps or motorized steps. Motorized steps are typically on motorhomes while manual steps are on towable RVs like fifth wheels, travel trailers and truck campers.
- Are your entry steps radius (curved in the front) or straight?
- Measurements of your steps; including the rise between each step
- What kind of material are you looking for?
It’s important to measure both the width of your steps (side to side), depth (front to back) and the rise (height) when in the stowed position. Also, you need to pay attention to how many step covers are included in each package. Some RV step covers may come in sets of 3 or more while others are sold individually so you can customize.
Other things to note are what they’re constructed of, whether they are weather resistant and if they are UV protected. But also, some may come in different colors or shades that coordinate with your RV’s color scheme or paint design.
What RV Step Covers are made of?
RV step covers or step rugs are made of various different materials; Olefin, polyester, vinyl loop or synthetic outdoor turf.
- Olefin is a synthetic polypropylene carpet fiber that is used frequently for outdoor rugs or areas where moisture/mold are a possible issue.
- Vinyl loop fiber is manufactured from a premium quality extruded vinyl that is pressed in a random loop design. They help to remove dirt and moisture.
- Synthetic outdoor turf is fabricated using synthetic fibers, manufactured to resemble natural grass, and a base material that stabilizes and cushions the playing surface. The fibers are typically made from nylon, polypropylene or polyethylene and are connected to a backing material.
Once you know what size and manufactured material they’re made of, then you can find the perfect step covers for your particular camper. Let’s now see which step rug covers we recommend for your RV.
RV Step Covers: Keep From Tracking Dirt and Sand into your RV
Shade Pro Dirt Grabber RV Step Cover
Shade Pro’s dirt grabber step covers are some of the best on the market. These RV step covers are designed to stay in place at all times, no need to remove them when you are ready to hit the road.
Shade Pro step covers are made to fit all RV steps up to 24″ wide; even radius steps (curved). Because of the rubber backing, you can trim the width or length for a more exact fit based on the size of your steps. Simply cut them with a pair or heavy duty scissors or box cutter knife on an appropriate cutting surface such as a healing mat.
|We wished these came in gray and charcoal.|
Camco Wrap Around Step Rug
Camco Gray RV Wrap Around Step Rug adjusts to fit almost any RV step. Just wrap around your existing RV step and hook springs into the holes that fit your step. No screws, glue or tools needed. Springs are unique in that the hook ends are turned back making installation easier. The Camco Gray Step Rug helps to keep your RV clean by cutting down on tracked-in dirt.
- Fits 23-inch wide steps
- Adjustable to fit RV steps with a depth of 8-inches to 11-inches
- Works on manual and electric RV steps
- Easy to install
- Weather and Mildew-Resistant
|We had these on our fifth wheel GlowStep Revolution steps and loved them. We bought a new set for our Winnebago View motorhome. After 2 years of wear, they still look great.|
RVGUARD RV Step Rugs for Radius Steps
If you have curved RV steps like those on some fifth wheels and travel trailers, you know not all step covers will cover them. However, these RVGuard step covers are made precisely for radius steps. And, they’re easy to removable to clean and dry thoroughly without trapping water underneath the step covers. The RVGuard radius step rugs are super easy to install with their 4 sets of pairing grommets and springs. Seriously, you can easily install the RV stair rugs in less than 5 minutes. Also, you can adjust the depth of the rugs according to your RV step depth
- Overall size 22”(L) x 20″(W), fits for 22-inch wide radius steps.
- Comes with 4 sets of pairing grommets and springs for three different step depths for easy installation.
- Each step rug can cover steps varying from 8″ to 10″ depth.
- For manual and electric multi-step RV entrances.
- Made of premium polyester material
- Weather resistant
|Be aware, we learned that these radius step covers are folded in half which may create a bumpy crease in the middle. We highly recommend flattening them out using weighted objects for a few days before installing them.|
Trailersphere RUGUP for Lippert Solid Step and MORryde Step Above
If your fifth wheel that has Lippert Solid Step or MORryde Step Above steps, these are what you want. RugUP is the ONLY custom rug that is specifically designed and customized for your beautiful Step Above by MORryde or Lippert Components Solid Step. But, these also can be cut to size for your motorhome step well to catch dirt and debris as well.
RUGUP step covers come in all sizes and configurations. Trailersphere made it their mission to provide a rug design that is modern and sophisticated while providing superior step protection. These heavy duty exterior rugs are designed to protect your step. They securely fasten to each step but can easily be removed and reattached at any time. The rigid rug texture is designed to trap dirt while protecting the step from any scratches. They come in four different sizes so they will be custom-sized for your particular RV steps setup.
- Superior step protection will prevent any step damage, ribbed texture pattern traps dirt and debris keeping the inside of any RV clean and free from any outside dirt.
- Made from weather resistant materials and are UV protected against sun damage and fading. Designed to dry quickly.
- Easy to install and no tools are required for installation.
- Easy maintenance. Just shake off debris, sweep with a broom, vacuum or spot wash with water.
- Its’ modern design has a Heavy duty rubber, non-slip backing.
- Each step rug can be removed and easily reattach for cleaning, RV step maintenance or replacement.
|Per their advertising specs, this product configuration includes only 1 step rug per box. So, order accordingly to how many steps you have. One of the most reported claims is they are a bit pricy.|
Kohree RV Step Covers
Kohree RV Step Rugs are designed for curved radius steps. Effectively scratches off and traps dirt with its ridges. These step covers reduce pets’ fear of RV stairs. They cover the holes on the stair slabs therefore, preventing your pets from being injured. They are soft and durable. Each step rug is bendable, soft and durable. They give a finished look to your curved steps. The Kohree step covers are easy to attach and detach for cleaning and maintenance.
- Each step rug measures 22” long x 20″ wide, accommodating curved foot ladders.
- Made of 100% Polyester that’s easy to clean.
- Comes with four sets of pairing grommets and springs
|We’ve learned that the Kohree step covers can be a bit of a challenge to install the springs just using your fingers. Some have found them easier to install using a pair of needle-nosed pliers.|
Prest-O-Fit Ruggids RV Step Rugs
The Prest-O-Fit Ruggids RV Step Rugs are designed for manual or electric multi-step RV entrances. These step covers are 23″ wide that fit straight steps 8″ to 11″ deep. The Ruggids attach using zip ties making them easy to install. The deep tread traps dirt at the door helping to preserve your RV interior. They are easy to clean. You can simply hose your RV stair covers off and allow to dry. The Ruggids come in several colors to compliment your RV exterior design and colors.
- Designed for manual or electric multi-step RV entrances.
- Each pack contains three (3) 23″ wide rugs that fit straight steps 8″ to 11″ deep
- Made of heavy duty olefin carpet, UV-protected against sun damage and fading.
- Zip-ties included
|We’ve read that the zip-ties that come with the Presto-O-Fit Ruggid Step Rugs are sub par. We recommend purchasing stronger contractor grade zip-ties for a more secure and better fastening.|
Prest-O-Fit Decorian Step Huggers for Motorhome Steps
Decorian Step Huggers for RV Stair Steps help protect your motorhome interior from traipsing in dirt and sand from your campsite. They can be removed and reattached as needed. These motorhome step rugs conform to most interior stairs regardless of depth or height. They are super easy to install. They securely fasten to most hard stair surfaces with snap-fasteners and hook-and-loop fastening strips.
- Made of heavy-duty olefin carpet with a ribbed texture to trap dirt and mud.
- Ribbed texture traps dirt and mud
- Made in the U.S.A.
|We’ve read a review stating the die lots between the Step Rugs and the Step Huggers were slightly different in color.|
Prest-O-Fit 5-1090 Decorian Step Huggers For Motorhome Landings
Decorian Step Huggers for motorhome landings pair nicely with the Decorian Step Huggers listed immediately above. They too, protect your interior and can be removed and reattached as needed. Also, they are easy to install by securely fastening to most hard stair surfaces with hook-and-loop fastening strips (included). Made of heavy-duty olefin carpet with a ribbed texture to trap dirt and mud. Made in the U.S.A.
- Made of heavy-duty olefin carpet with a ribbed texture to trap dirt and mud.
- Ribbed texture traps dirt and mud
- Made in the U.S.A.
Prest-O-Fit Wrap Around Radius RV Step Rug
The Prest-O-Fit Wrap Around Radius RV Step Rug protect your interior while accenting your RV exterior. These step rugs are designed for RV steps that curve in the front part of the step. They are easy to install using the springs (included). These step covers fit manual and electric steps 8″ to 10″ deep (front to back). They are super easy to clean; Simply hose off and allow to air dry.
- Designed for 22″ wide curved steps
- Made of low pile outdoor turf that is UV-protected against sun damage and fading.
- Resistant to mold and mildew.
- UV-protected against sun damage and fading, resistant to mold and mildew
- Finished on all edges
- Comes in five different colors to coordinate with your motorhome or camper; green, brown, espresso, slate gray and imperial blue.
|These are a bit pricy however, they are well worth the money as they accent your RV entry steps beautifully with the available colors.|
Other RV Step Accessories:
Sometimes, you may need an extra step so it’s not a long stretch to reach the ground from your motorhome’s or camper’s bottom step.
An aluminum platform step is a great addition to your RV accessories to keep in your storage compartment until needed. Its’ non-slip rubber feet as well as grip tape provide a secure step. And, the step’s legs fold in for compact storage and easy transport.
Final thoughts on RV step covers
RV step safety should be one of your top priorities when owning a motorhome or camper. Without step covers, you’re taking your chances on slipping on your steps or injuring your pet. But also, step rugs also benefit by helping to keep your RV interior cleaner. Anyway, who wants to be at the Vet’s office, ER or constantly cleaning your floors when you should be enjoying the outdoors!
AMAZON DISCLOSURE: This website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.